Service Committee Minutes July 2016
- Roles and Responsibilities of Service Committee Members:
The service committee members agreed to meet every other month.
Continuing and Revised Roles of Members of Service Committee:
|President||Fr Cyprian Consiglio, OSB CAM|
|Facilitor / Vice Chair||Ziggy Rendler-Bregman|
|Communication (website & emails)||Sylvia Deck|
|Secretary, recording of minutes||Judy Neary|
|Guest Speakers Coordinator||Elbina Rafizadeh|
|New Camaldoli Liaison||Ziggy Rendler-Bregman|
|Hospitality & Room||Sr Barbara Long|
|Legal & By-Laws||Tim Walsh|
- Roles in support of the Service Committee and Sangha in general:
Coordination of Sangha Annual Events :
(volunteers needed to manage some of the listed events)
Tent of Abraham events
|Sylvia, Sarojani & Ziggy|
|Annual Fundraiser||Volunteer needed|
|2 retreats per year, Spring & Fall||Volunteer needed|
|New Years Eve Vigil||Volunteer needed|
- Two issues were briefly discussed:
- first, the rotation of leadership periodically and
- secondly, the idea of having committees to assist the designated person responsible in specific areas with the idea to spread the work and train future leaders
- And service committee members
- Calendar Review, and Topics for Sangha study:
- The suggestion was made that the Sangha stay closely connected with the Hermitage through the meeting presentations with the possibility of asking Father Thomas Matus to speak on the topic of Universal Wisdom.
- The following topics were listed and considered for the rest of 2016:
Possible presenters and teachers were offered by members of the Sangha for the topics of interest. If you know of someone who teaches on the above topics, please let the service committee know.
The Service Committee voted to focus on three topics for the remainder of 2016: Islam with a possible teaching on Sufism as well, Taoism, and a topic for Advent theme in November and December. Also we hope to have Father Cyprian during the year when his schedule allows.
Some flexibility was deliberately left in the schedule.
PROPOSED CALENDAR OF TOPICS AND TEACHERS FOR 2016 SANGHA MEETINGS:
- Sangha Shantivanam meetings will continue to take place from .
- Sunday, April 24, 2016: PRANAYAMA by Tim and Radha
- Sunday, May 15, 2016: TBA
- Monday, May 30, 2016: (Memorial Day) - Tent of Abraham Day of Service at the Homeless Garden Project
- Topics for June & July 2016 will focus on Islam, using the book "No God But God" by Reza Asian. We could possibly extend into August to include a presentation on Sufism
- Sunday, June 12, 2016: Begin study of Islam, book discussion on "No God But God" (will invite guest teachers TBA as well as incorporate introduction of Sufism)
- Sunday, June 12, 2016: preceded by a Service committee Meeting open to all beginning at 3 pm, Fr Cyprian here
- Sunday, June 26, 2016: Study of Islam
- Sunday, July 10, 2016: Study of Islam
- Sunday, July 24, 2016: Study of Islam, Presentation by a teacher (Elbina will contact Houcine Ahmed and THooba Samimi